Tadpole or Delta Trike?
It’s a common question – which is the better kind of trike? The answer isn’t so easy – both configurations have their advantages and disadvantages:
- Simple drive system – a normal chainset at the front with a chain leading through to normal rear wheel gearing.
- Very stable, you sit right in the middle of all three wheels.
- Can carry normal panniers alongside the rear wheel.
- You can see how wide it is when riding, for narrow gaps.
- Very manoeuvrable – the front wheel can turn through about 80 degrees to either side, so it can almost turn in its own length.
- Very easy to get onto and off – you can sit down first, then swing your leg over. Access from a wheelchair is simple.
- More complex drive system, with single-sided drive to one rear wheel or a differential to drive both, sometimes with mid-mounted gearbox gearing.
- Less stable when cornering fast.